Life is a highway


My new favorite section of highway: 163, North and South, between 94 and 8. So. Cool. It's impossible to describe - I don't know what it is about it that makes it so fun to drive. It's definitely narrow and curvy. And fast. The outside lane usually is doing 70, and I think the limit is 55. There are wooded banks, arching bridges.

My new favorite stretch of surface street: Upas between Florida and Park. At least a fifteen percent grade. Maybe eighteen (I don't know what grades are, btw, but I was just on a different stretch of road that had a sign saying it was fifteen percent). Really narrow - maybe two car widths.

I was coming home from my sister's place this evening, just a little after sunset. Coming south on I-5 from north of the airport, there is a fantastic view of the San Diego skyline. The sky beyond the city was darkening, but the glass buildings of downtown were all glowing golden and silver and bluish and greyish. Since I was a kid, I read science fiction, and daydreamed alot about future cities and cultures. Those future cities look a lot like San Diego.

From a distance anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts