Freud and Barfield (and Steiner)



"The unconscious is the true psychical reality; in its innermost nature it is as much unkown to us as the reality of the external world, as it is as incompletely presented by the data of consciousness as is the external world by the communication of our sense organs."


"In what way does the macrocosm, the world which presents itself as 'outside' me, live in me, so that it is indeed I, so that its tremendous forces are some day to become forces of my will?"


"We must think of a different kind of duality altogether; not of Man and Nature, but of something more like Outer Man and Inner Man, or Waking Man and Sleeping Man."


"If 'I' in my true self - that is, if you choose, in my unconscious self - am that (the apparently objective), then it is only by knowing that and by knowing it imaginatively that I can 'know myself'."



"Fundamentally man has not united himself at all intensively with his sense-system. Properly speaking, it is not he who lives in this system of the senses, but the surrounding world. This has built itself and its existence into his sense-organization."


These are several quotes by three men whose work has greatly impressed me. I have always granted their views a certain authority in my own thinking. Futher, they have mutually - though not completely - interpreted one another for me. That, despite the fact that two of them knew and were somewhat critical of the work of the third.

The three men are Sigmund Freud, Owen Barfield and Rudolf Steiner. I'm reading Hidden Minds: A History of the Unconscious, and came to the quote of Freud which is the first of the quotes above. It struck me deeply how much it is like Owen Barfield's statements - the next three quotes above. In fact, it is the unconscious as popularly understood - and developed in some detail in Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams - that still provides for me a bridge between Barfield's more philosophical approach to the spiritual, and Rudolf Steiner's esoteric spiritual science - partly expressed in the last quote.

Barfield's essay "The Fall in Man and Nature" in his book Romanticism Comes of Age really stretches my imagination, so that I can almost feel it at the point of some cataclysmic - and divine - revelation: the world is my invisible will. It is also in Steiner's own work, like the quote above, that I sometimes find myself on that same brink of having the world completely turn upside down and inside out.

Is it a permanent change that would be induced, or is it something that has to be accomplished new each time, and only for that moment?

Comments

Popular Posts