What is it about Edmund Husserl and Rudolf Steiner?

"The assumption that all modes of being could be reduced to something analogous to objects of external nature was challenged in German philosophy at the turn of the century by two students of  Franz Brentano: Rudolf Steiner and Edmund Husserl."

- Ronald H. Brady in an introduction to Truth and Knowledge: Prelude to a Philosophy of Freedom by Rudolf Steiner

My own reading of Husserl is strongly colored by a much earlier, longer and deeper reading of Rudolf Steiner, and my reading of Steiner was initially done through my even previous reading of Owen Barfield. Barfield's book Saving the Appearances was characterized by my thesis director as phenomenology.

So phenomenology for me was something initially outside of Husserl's work. Once I did read Husserl, and the idea of the epoche, it clicked immediately with what I'd accepted or verified of Steiner and Barfield. Philosophically I was in a good position then to broaden Steiner's and Barfield's insights about human consciousness into mainstream philosophy via Husserl's epoche, and could deepen Husserl's otherwise arid philosophic logic with my understanding of the evolution of consciousness.

Nevertheless, I accepted there wasn't a real - academic - connection between them. I had to accept that Barfield and Steiner were unheard of in academia, and that Husserl was a logician, not a seer. At the same time, I hold Husserl's work in high regard, and consider it an analog, or contemporaneous expression, of Steiner's work: Steiner and Husserl taught the same lesson, with Steiner focused on the esoteric elements, and Husserl on the exoteric.

I wonder if they agreed, in some way, to do so.


Comments

Warwick Zeamer said…
Entirely valid connection. I studied Husserl in the Crisis and Ideas as well as Logical Investigations, and Philosophy of Freedom and A theory of knowledge implicit in Goethe's world conception and found them quite consistent and informative in different but mutually supportive ways. Steiner even said at one point that
the path to higher worlds for the scientifically trained is the Philosophy of Freedom which is pure phenomenology.
Warwick Zeamer said…
Entirely correct in my view.

Popular Posts