Whither thou goest, deep ecology?

Canvassing the ether for the status of deep ecology, and I am initially surprised at how few recent references I've found. While in a brick and mortar Barnes and Noble a couple of nights ago, I found even fewer titles and references.

But I may be looking in the wrong places. I was reading actively in the field in the early and mid nineties, and perhaps the notion of deep ecology has morphed into topics I wouldn't recognize?

Back then I was reading The Wilderness Condition, The Natural Alien, The Idea of Wilderness, and other essays, articles, etc.. I was very enamoured of phenomenology, and lived in western Montana, studying at a University with an active environmental studies program. These interests and circumstances constituted the soup in which grew my ideas of a phenomenology of wilderness.

My writing at the time that was related to deep ecology ranged from diary entries published in camas: an environmental journal as "Turns of Mind and Weather: Six Months in Missoula" (winter 94-95 issue), to personal letters, to academic papers and thesis chapters, including what became the chapter titled "The Impossibility of Interpenetration as the Problem of the Other" in my book Philosophy and the Evolution of Consciousness.

Anyway, if any of my reader(s) know(s) whither deep ecology, would you let me know? Thanks.

Comments

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts