How To Find Hyperobjects

Timothy Morton explains in Hyperobjects that a something that can't quite be observed with the naked eye - like global warming - can be seen and felt and heard and smelt in the local expressions of the object - rising sea level on South Pacific islands, disappearing glaciers worldwide.

Morton's concept is like a stepladder that puts me up only a little way above the ordinary world of collective consciousness, but just over a horizon that reveals a universe arching like the Milky Way across awareness.

Phoenix, Arizona's average low temperatures are 8 degrees hotter than fifty years ago. Now I run my air conditioning through to the end of October, when just 10 years ago, I shut it off in early October.

I have felt global warming, with a dash of urban heat island effects, both of which are hyperobjects.


Comments

Popular Posts