Toeing the Line II: The Linguistic Innoculation


Just because I would, and do, toe the line, doesn't mean I was happy about, nor ignorant of, my unhappiness. But I wouldn't say I was enlightened, either. Passive aggression and avoidance were the best I could do.

Nevertheless, this doesn't disqualify the question: 

Why shouldn't I have my own, personal, private encounter and relationship with life, reality, the universe? 

Why must I do it the way you do it, or the way you say someone else does it? 

Worse yet, the way you say someone else, who neither of us ever knew, did it?

This may explain my extreme annoyance with the use of King James English in Christian contexts, whether it be quotations from the King James version of the Christian bible, or from 19th or 20th century poetry that uses a small subset of nouns, pronouns, adverbs, syntax and word order. A direct quotation is one thing, but to then forget or ignore the contemporary translation and keep referring to the KJ word or phrase is not just annoying, but entirely obfuscating. It literally resists understanding.

Resists understanding. 

Hmm. 

What if the resistance is not like a philological puzzle to be solved, or an obscure ancient text needing translation into some contemporary language? 

What if the resistance is the universe saying, 

'This is not the way to go with your thinking, your mind. That way is now closed to you. From now on, capture truth and grace and love, every grief and depravity, every glittering detail of every moment, in the language of your own heart. You must be the new prophet, speaking only to yourself, into the world of freedom, your own mind, heart and spirit.'

Then all of a sudden I have a mission, a duty, easy and light: Speak for myself.

It's a mission because it takes time to learn how to speak for myself, because I didn't learn to do that growing up. Not just standing up for myself in social situations, or to be more authentic in my speech. But more importantly, and more immediately, how to speak with myself.

Am I striving to speak for myself? To learn the language of my own heart? To not let hyperbole, cliche, prejudice, stereotype, creep into my thought? To not let fear shut me up?

Maintain my own thoughts, without being afraid. 

Stop using King James English, for goodness sake, or any other spoken language, in order to make conscious contact with Spirit, aka Reality.

Comments

Popular Posts