It was a time of silent, bright, dying

It was a time of silent,
bright, dying;
desert suns glittered down
on brilliant sands
and brilliant cities,
where neon hissed
and torched the nights into grey-white,
synthetic days

Wilderness was all
that pale beauty round and about,
clad in mute sky,
whispering bluffs,
cold, white stars
and white frozen moon face

I walked there,
wild-minded, crazy space swirling constellations
in my eyes,
sweeping fire and dust
and spinning stars,
scattered coals
of time begot

My feet were bare,
but my tongue clothed,

quick to taste
what my feet tread,
alive, both, to the earth
and sky, and sighing
of a desert wind

So my tongue bore a burdern
of wonder to the cities,
and I went along

***

Crazy, bright city
writhed with bodies in my head;
a crowd-textured dream
packed my mind,
roared wtih color
and choked with sound,
all stinging smells,
an acid taste,
frowns
of structured steel
brooding tall,
screaming upward,
then letting fall black shadows
dense as brick,
mason pride

Stinking concrete,
a stench of crazed convenience
and twisted pride
of human nature,
tortured and forced
to rebellious labor;
stones, and steel,
tears and pain again;
then sleep

***

I walked, dawn quiet,
east with the upcoming sun,
alone,
toward isolation amongst many,
from comuunion
in a wild home

Blacktop still slept,
not steaming til midday,
with the heat
and screaming of human trade;
engined caravans of food,
one way,
rolling barges of waste,
away

So I neared,
and thought,
and knew again
what strength I did not have,
how wisdom was a faithful
but separate companion
who steps not always beside;
but at the city gate, she calls,
to me,
to others,
to all,
though few she enthralls

'I've named you Wisdom,
woman,
for you guide my feet,
and are before
where I fear;
speak sound judgment,
keep me in my way'

 'And I only go where I must, man,
and call to those who will listen;
you heed, respond,
follow, fear,
and that is all

But eat with me,
though what I have -
fruit of vine, bread -
will not buy much here,
but keep your heart strong'

I ate, and listened,
and filled myself:
bright fruit,
precious words,
clear cool draught,
and peace;
she spoke little,
I listened much,
my eyes closed with seeing,
filled with her face,
stone, smooth,
and flashing

We stood,
bowed,
she spoke,
'I will cry out in those busy streets'
and I,
'I will be there'

She sat down,
and I walked again,
again against the city,
still glowing cool, white, green,
blue,
yellow,
fluorescent,
metal-fine silhouette,
dark, jagged shame

***






 Of that city,
that secret place,
the space
within
the secret place,
nothing is told
but what you yourself
hear

***

Now,
ancient neon,
warm hissing,
quiet,
settled as fine dust,
silencing city hearts,
and city minds,
a marketplace
now empty canyon,
empty wind whispering
empty lies
to my anxious
and tired heart;
I listen,
even speak back
a breathy despair
but keep
my eyes on the distant,
fine,
detailed lines that wiggle
and waver
on the air

Crystal city,
steel-bright,
aflame, and afire,
scaping laser fine
and high,
hums warm twilight
small and away
from where I sit,
perched,
on the silky dry
and smooth rooftop,
sky's windy floor

Comments

Popular Posts