Pig Latin

Sometimes while reading Steiner, I'll get the feeling he was deliberately speaking in abstractions, as a way to hide the straightforward, profound, truth. For instance, it was many years into reading his work that I realized that what he was talking about with his 'exercises' was meditation. I don't understand now how that could have been so obscure for me.

I'm pretty sure he did describe in abstraction things that would have been much more easily recognized otherwise. Certainly his lessons to the students of the esoteric school were the straight scoop. Frank Thomas Smith (http://southerncrossreview.org/) has translated some of Steiner's work, including the first lecture to those same students. Smith's translation go a long way to bring Steiner's thought into the 21st century, and therefore into the pale of intelligibility. 

Comments

Popular Posts