You are not alone - even in your own consciousness

"There are thinkers who believe that a special
difficulty arises when one tries to understand how another person's thought life can affect one's own.  They say: my conscious world is enclosed within me; in the same way, any other conscious world is enclosed within itself. I cannot see into the world of consciousness of another person. How, then, do I know that he and I are both in the same world?"

Rudold Steiner presents this problem in the Appendix to Philosophy of Freedom. I think it's still an interesting question today, and still a vital question, if not in those exact terms. His answer is not an argument, but a description of the experience of encountering another human being in real time:

"The immediate percept [of the person's physical presence], extinguishing itself as sense appearance, is grasped by my thinking, and this is a process lying wholly within my consciousness and consisting in this, that the other person's thinking takes the place of mine. Through the self extinction of the sense appearance, the separation between the two spheres of consciousness is actually overcome."

That is, "I have really perceived another person's thinking."

If you will pay close attention the next time you encounter and engage with someone, you'll notice this for yourself. This accounts, too, for the difference, in quality of experience, between reading someone's email, for instance, and talking with them in person: the physical presence isn't there to begin with - all you have is their thinking taking place of your own.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Comments

andrew said…
(Not on topic, sorry) I've been reading the biography of Owen Barfield (by Blaxland-de Lange... I think it's the only one) and I've come to a section where he mentions "threefold thinking" without describing it, and after a little digging I can't find anything very clear about it online. Threefold Social Order, yes. Could you explain this to me? Thanks.
Hi Andrew.

I'm not familiar with this term, per se, so take this as a suggestion. I'm guessing it refers to Steiner's teachings on Imagination, Inspiration, and Intuition. These are stages of spiritual development, and can be considered metamorphoses of thinking.

Steiner's book Theosophy discusses these stages in detail, and he mentions them in many of his writings and lectures. Check out Rudolf Steiner Press, and the Rudolf Steiner Archives online, for more info. I'd love to hear what you find, and if this is indeed what Barfield's biographer means by threefold thinking.

Good to hear from you, and have a nice Thanksgiving week.

Danny

Popular Posts