Change


Beginning the end of August, this year has been nothing but change. Heraclitus said that change was the fundamental reality. I remember reading somewhere that the ancient Greeks knew, better than we today, that at bottom, reality was chaos, and that our legends, myths, "histories", were all attempts to shield us from that shattering truth.

I've certainly been shattered. My life today is nothing like what it was 9 months ago. Nine months ago, I hadn't been overseas on business (I've taken two trips to Kuwait since then). I'd never been to Amsterdam (I've been there three times now, and had serious plans to move there just three months ago). I was married (I divorced in September). I lived in Missoula, Montana, where I'd spent nineteen years of my life (I am now in San Diego). I weigh less than one-thirty; I no longer have the mountain bike that I loved to ride; there are no Christmas decorations in my home; I got paid for a professional photography job on Christmas eve; I've walked on the beach in December; I ate lunch outside in the sunshine overlooking La Jolla Cove two days before Christmas; I drive everyday on the freeway.

Can't step into the same river twice...

Comments

Popular Posts