How To Change Your View At Will

To see, at will, what's invisible, is the crux of the whole thing, isn't it? 

To see the 'manifold' before it's taken up by the transcendent I via the categories; the given just at the moment we gently invoke the epoche; the darkness behind the eyes in meditation just as the star of the east rises; through the veil back in the mists of time; the primeval universe, and the primary unit of matter.

The mind and thinking of another, their world as experienced by them.

This is why we have movies.

But the movies - all visual media, all visual sensation, all sensation - point the wrong way every single time when asked how is it done - how does one see the invisible - because they point to something you can see.

You can't see the invisible.

You can, though, experience, at will, a direct connection to the invisible - to the manifold, the expanded given, the darkness, the thinking of another.

How?

Lots of ways.

One thing common among various methods or techniques is the ability to sit still - perfectly still - for long periods of time.

This may seem arbitrary. I thought so, until I tried it. I was reading some material on chaos magic - I'd just then learned of such a thing - and found an introduction to its practice. I didn't use the method for long, but learned two profound lessons.

One was the experience of sitting still - as still as possible, without moving a muscle, including my eyes, subtle muscle movements, twitches. The longest I sat without moving at all was fifteen minutes.

In the lead up to and including that fifteen minute session, I experienced just how deeply layered movement is in my body, and how subtle some of the layers are. And the more subtle the layers were that I stilled, the less I could feel my body or sense my location or position or get any sense of my orientation in space and time. The less the world existed.

In that environment, I experienced how my breathing, as slow and quiet as it was, and my heartbeat, as slow as it was, formed a two-strand core to my self-awareness and involvement in a world, because they both moved, and moved independently of my conscious will.

Another lesson I learned was to keep a meditation journal. Like a lab notebook. This is about learning what works, and how we can repeat our steps from session to session. 

It's this - repeatability - that constitutes meditation as scientific. Two or more people, following the same steps, should be able to repeat the experience. There should be common landmarks, hallmark experiences. Not in every detail, of course, but in the essentials.

Then you build on those techniques that work, that reveal what you're looking for.

Comments

Popular Posts