Wandering in the Desert


I've been preoccupied with non-evolution of consciousness concerns. Like dehydrating in the Phoenix sun while waiting for public transportation. And whatnot.

I'm reminded, though, and grateful for the reminder, that the evolution-of-consciousness concerns have never been merely - or even mostly - intellectual for me. A friend and I talked of emptiness - and for me, depression - in our lives. We then talked of dipping into the source of life, of refreshment, wherever we might find that. It's meditation that helps me dip into that source, and it is the knowledge that consciousness evolves - has evolved, is evolving, will evolve - that is the backdrop to that meditation.

At the moment, Rudolf Steiner's book Knowledge of the Higher Worlds serves to guide me. This is one of the handful of books that Steiner penned explicitly for publication, and it reads much differently than the shorthand transcriptions of his lectures. In any case, one thing I have been surprised by at several points in reading this book is Steiner's gentleness. He is very encouraging, reminding the neophyte of the difficulty of the path, the need for patience, the need to take things a little bit at a time.

I am very grateful for Rudolf Steiner, for books, for meditation, and for my friend with whom I shared this book.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular Posts